Tuesday, April 21, 2009

TWD: Four Star Chocolate Bread Pudding


I'm a big fan of bread pudding. I first fell in love with it when I lived in Southeast Texas. There was a restaurant that had the bread pudding of my dreams, perfectly moistened, perfectly spiced, with raisins hidden inside and the most wonderful alcohol-laden brown sugar sauce over top.

I've never made it, so I didn't know what to expect with this week's Tuesday's with Dorie recipe, Four Star Chocolate Bread Pudding (chosen by Lauren of Upper East Side Chronicle).

I made my own brioche using Dorie's recipe. I dried the bread for several days so it was quite crunchy by the time I started. Here it is with dried cherries, ready for it's chocolate custard bath.


The custard, just before whisking in the chocolate...


I added the custard and it didn't seem right... like there was way too much liquid, so I took some out.


It still seemed soupy, but I was afraid of taking out too much, so I left it.


The finished product didn't look very appealing to me, to be honest. But I was still hopeful. Taste and visual appeal aren't always related in the baking world.



The verdict? You know, this wasn't my favorite of Dorie's recipes, but it sounds like a lot of the other TWD bakers enjoyed it. It tasted like, well, chocolate mixed with bread. You might be saying, "well, no duh!". I guess it just wasn't what I'm used to calling "bread pudding". Maybe if it had had a sauce, I would feel differently. At least I now have a data point for future bread pudding experiments.

As always, it was a learning experience.

If you'd like to see the recipe, get yourself a copy of Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking, From my Home to Yours" or check out Lauren's blog. OK, see you next week!

33 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

Wow! You made your own brioche! How fantastic! Yours looks yummy.

Steph said...

This wasn't my favourite either. I don't think I'm a fan of 'wet' desserts..haha. At least it looks nice!

NKP said...

Congrats for making your own brioche, very nice!

Megan said...

It does look like you had too much liquid in there. More bread! Bring on the carbs!

vibi said...

Although I really enjoyed that one... I NEED THAT RECIPE: "...perfectly moistened, perfectly spiced, with raisins hidden inside and the most wonderful alcohol-laden brown sugar sauce over top"!!!! LOL LOL LOL

I'm sorry it didn't turn out for you... after all the trouble of making your own brioche, hummm... bummer. At least it looks great! (lol)

Marthe said...

Yours looks quite a bit wetter than mine, maybe that's where I went wrong. I didn't like this so much....

Jin Hooi said...

I didn't have any of the bread pudding so i am not too sure if this recipe is any good. But your pudding looks good still ;-)

Amanda said...

I am a fan on vanilla custard bread pudding, but I really liked this one too. It was even better drizzled with chocolate sauce or cream anglaise!

Pamela said...

It wasn't my favorite either, but at least we tried, right?? Nice job baking your own brioce, though!!

chocolatechic said...

Mine was soupy too, and I halved the custard.

Hindy said...

I enjoyed when it was warm, but cool, I agree it lacked flavour. Still, a fresh dessert's better than no dessert.

Unknown said...

looks great though... :)

Cathy said...

I used Dorie's brioche as well, and our bread puddings look similar (of course, yours looks way better than mine, but they are similarly set up/non-soupy). Sorry you didn't love this. I enjoyed it, but since there are other things I enjoy more and nobody else in my family will really eat this, I probably won't make it very often.

farah said...

Good for you for making your own brioche! I'm sorry you didn't really like this.

grace said...

good for you for going all out and making your own brioche! i've never made bread pudding either, but i have to say that this one looks pretty darn good.

mike said...

Looks nice and moist! Mine was rather dry... maybe I "staled" my bread too much! Looks great though - very delicious! AND kudos for making your own bread!!!

The Duo Dishes said...

Your bread pudding looks awesome to us. The wet factor doesn't dissuade us at all. Your own brioche in the mix is very impressive.

Anonymous said...

How cool that you made your own brioche. Your bread pudding looks wonderful.
I wasn't too impressed with this either. It was more of a texture thing with me. I don't think I like bread pudding.

Leslie said...

You made brioche? That's fantastic! It looks delicious, and I like how you sliced it like a cake! Sorry this one wasn't a home run for you, maybe it had too much custard?

Heather said...

Love your pics, and kudos to you for the homemade brioche!

Audrey said...

To be honest, I think 'chocolate mixed with bread' is a very fair description...I liked it, but don't think this particular bread pudding flavor choice will ever be favorite. On the other hand, I DO think yours is the prettiest (and most appealing) serving I've seen today! Gorgeous!

Tammy said...

it wasnt my favourite either, but I love the way yuo served it like a slice of cake!

Engineer Baker said...

Hehe - data point - you're starting to sound like me! :) The wedge looks pretty darned fantastic, even if you weren't a huge fan of the end product.

Elyse said...

I think that restaurant in Southeast Texas ruined you for all other bread puddings...I think that one was soooo good that nothing else can compare, no? Haha, well, I AM glad that you tried this recipe; I'm sure I could help you finish off any leftovers!

Anonymous said...

I wasn't a big fan either, but there's always next week. Good job making your own brioche!

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

Sorry to hear this one wasn't a hit, but I bet you will love next week's. I thought it was great.

Bunny said...

I've had apple bread pudding and pumpkin bread pudding that I just love. But there's just something about chocolate bread pudding that really doesn't trip my trigger. I don't know why though.

Maria said...

Very impressive! I have never made brioche. It's on my list!

Unknown said...

It was my first time making bread pudding too. Sorry it wasn't your favorite. I really loved it! Your slice looks so pretty.

AmyRuth said...

I am so impressed with all of you who made your own brioche. So impressive. Maybe I could even make bread as well. I liked it but I'm getting more and more discriminating about items being worth the calories. Ya know?
Yours looks really good.
AmyRuth

Teanna said...

Sorry you weren't a fan! But it really does look gorgeous!! And I love that you made your own brioche!

TeaLady said...

You tried it. That works. Looks good,too bad it wasn't your thing. But making your own brioche. Great job.

Dragon said...

This is indeed a 4 star dessert!