Thursday, April 16, 2009

TWD: Florida Pie


I recently made Florida Pie, another Tuesday's with Dorie catch-up recipe. It was enjoyed by the TWD gang the week before I joined last May. I remember watching the TWD bakers for about a month before I joined, thinking it looked like fun but not wanting to commit to baking every week. I guess this pie looked so scrumptious it changed my mind.

I haven't regretted the decision for a minute, thanks to desserts like this one.

This is an unusual pie, with a layer of coconut hiding beneath a creamy lime filling, topped by a coconut-filled meringue. Maybe you can tell from the picture, I left the coconut out of the meringue. I don't love coconut enough for that.


This pie was delicious. I didn't think I would like it because I'm not usually crazy about that much coconut, but somehow the chewy layer perfectly complimented the creamy filling.

Thanks to Diane of Diane's Dishes for choosing this recipe. You can find the recipe on her site, along with her totally awesome looking pie.

12 comments:

Elyse said...

Mmm, that layer of coconut sounds right up my alley! (Although, I am with you: I wouldn't have added it to the merigue either.) What a pretty looking pie! No wonder you joined TWD after seeing this :)

Snooky doodle said...

this looks delicious. I ve tried making a meringue layer on top but mine it usually drips and melts after a few hours. what have I done wrong. Yours looks beautiful

Steph said...

Keep these rewinds coming! I want to go back too, but I can't handle too many desserts, especially since it's summer soon!

Bunny said...

This looks incredible, I love pies like this, I'm glad your doing the past TWD recipes as I haven't seen alot of these!

Mermaid Sews said...

Wow, this looks so good, I want to do this catch-up someday too!

grace said...

i do love coconut that much, and i'd be forced to dig through the meringue and lime filling just to get to the good stuff. :)

Pamela said...

When I do get around to making this pie, I will be making it the same way you did. It looks fabulous!

NKP said...

Looks wonderful! I love the spikey hair on it. I have gotten as far as printing the list of ones I missed.. and will join you soon in rewinds.. I hope!

Anonymous said...

I need to catch-up with this one too. It looks delicious.

Maria said...

What a refreshing pie! Looks really tasty!

Dragon said...

Lime and coconut?! Gimme, gimme gimme!

Stephany Benbow said...

This looks heavenly! I've had these crazy lime/coconut cravings lately, and meringue is one of my all time most loved sweets things. I need to find an excuse to make these soon!