Tuesday, April 14, 2009

TWD: Chocolate Amaretti Torte


All of the choco-holics are going to be loving the next three weeks of Tuesday's with Dorie, where we've got chocolate, chocolate, chocolate on the menu. First up, Holly of Phe/MOM/enon chose 15 Minute Magic: Chocolate Amaretti Torte.

The talk on the TWD forum this week has been where to find the "special ingredient" in this recipe, the amaretti cookies, a crunchy, almond-flavored cookie. Those with an Italian grocery, Trader Joe's, or World Market close by were in luck. Those without had advice on how to make their own cookies.

I just happen to have one of the world's most awesome grocery stores in my neck of the woods. It's called Jungle Jim's and it really must be seen to be believed. It's the largest grocery store I've ever laid eyes on. It has an "international" section as big as many regular grocery stores, with sections for Middle-Eastern, British, Asian (split into Japanese, Chinese, Thai, etc.), Italian, German, Hispanic and a few others I'm forgetting. And it just happens to have "America's Best Restrooms" if all that isn't enough for you (just when you thought you'd heard it all). Anyway, I found my Amaretti cookies at Jungle Jim's.

Look at all of that texture the ground cookies and almonds give the batter.


I can't say I loved the cookies by themselves (I thought they had a bitter aftertaste) and I was a little concerned how the cake would turn out. But my worries were for naught, the cake was delicious and had a wonderful almond flavor. I tried some the day after baking and again on the second day after baking and this cake only improved with age.


I skipped the almond whipped cream and opted for some small gumpaste flowers.


The only change I made to the recipe was to substitute semi-sweet chocolate for bittersweet, and to halve the recipe and make it in a 5-inch pan.

I also made Florida Pie this week, but will post it later. If you'd like to see the recipe for this chocolate cake, please check out Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking, From my Home to Yours", or stop by Holly's site above.

See ya later!

35 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Jacque, your mini is so pretty with those flowers! Great beginning to our run of chocolate. I think minis are in my future too...
Nancy

Megan said...

I have to practice my gumpaste flowers, it's been awhile since I've made any!

And they look so pretty with the cake!

NKP said...

So pretty! I love the flowers.

Tammy said...

your cake looks amazing! i didnt get a chance to make it this week, but I am definitely going to have to catch up on this one!

Leslie said...

This looks beautiful! I had to pass this week but it sure sounds good.

mike said...

Daisies -... how appropriate. Love the look of it - perfect for springtime.

Snooky doodle said...

How cute! and it surely looks delicious. So dense and chocoaltey oh what a bliss :)

Marthe said...

Cute flowers!! I liked the cake!

Jin Hooi said...

love the little flowers !! looks great!! And i am really jealous here, how i wish we have a "Jungle Jim" here ;-))

April said...

This cake looks so pretty!!! Just beautiful!

Pamela said...

The flowers look so great! Love the color. The cake looks luscious, too!

Jessica said...

Wow, those flowers are so cute and pretty for springtime. I'm completely jealous. What a beautiful cake.

Steph said...

I love the batter shot!! Your cake is so pretty with the flowers.

chocolatechic said...

Your torte looks absolutely fabulous.

And those little flowers....adorable!

vibi said...

I'm floored... speechless!

Amazing? Fresh? Stunning? Lovely? nah... lovely is just not enough... let's go for... sublime! yeahhhh, that's the ticket! Sublime!

The flowers kill me! Bravo!

Teanna said...

Stop!!! That is gorgeous! So perfectly springtime! And the cake looks gorgeous as well!

Heather said...

Gorgeous, and sounds yummy! I may have to try it, we have a World Market here.

spike. said...

I love that you have a store named Jungle Jim's. Sounds good to me. love your flowers

Maria said...

I love the orange flowers! What a divine dessert!

TeaLady said...

How cute are those flowers. Great job on the cake.

Kara said...

Oh so pretty. Yours rose much higher than mine did ... but then again I used a tart pan with low sides, so that might have had something to do with it. I love the gum paste flowers, though. Such a delicate touch!

Dewi said...

The best, the most delicious and pretty. There I've said it!
Cheers,
elra

Anonymous said...

Your torte looks fantastic. I love the flowers.

grace said...

love, love, love your flowers, and the wonderful density of your cake rocks my world. bravo!

Anonymous said...

The flowers are so pretty on the torte! I love interesting grocery stores, and Jungle Jim's sounds great!

Heather said...

Beautiful pictures and I love the gumpaste flowers.

Peggy said...

I just heart the little orange flowers! So pretty. Loved this torte.

vibi said...

If this automaticaly posts, take it out later! LOL

Kernel of fishing, huh? LOL LOL
In French the words "peach" and "fishing" are true homonyms" :"pĂȘche" and "pĂȘche" (same spelling, same sound, different meanings! But you were right, it has to do with the ingredient in the amaretti, bitter almonds which are peach kernels (contrary to sweet almonds which also grow on trees, but look nothing like peaches!...but you might have known that!!! LOL LOL) There you have it! Automatic translation is far from being perfect... yet.

The Food Librarian said...

I love this! So beautiful! And that store sounds like a dream come true! The gumpaste flowers are just so pretty!

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous torte! Those little gumpaste flowers are to die for!

Bunny said...

The little flowers are a pretty touch to a most magnificent cake!!

Dragon said...

Your flowers are so pretty. :)

Elyse said...

Mmm, this torte looks fabulous. And man, I am jealous of your Jungle Jim's. I want a Jungle Jim's!!

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

I love those gumpaste flowers! And now I'm envious of your grocery store! Would love to poke around in there for a few hours!

Sophie said...

The little flowers are a lovely touch and perfect for spring :). Gorgeous!