Tuesday, May 19, 2009

TWD: Fresh Mango Bread


Wow, it seems like forever since I've blogged, but it's only been since last week. Maybe it's because I've managed to get myself hooked on a certain celebrity gossip blog and I haven't been giving the food blogging world it's fair share of Internet time.

(In case you're not up to speed, feel free to ask me what Brittany Spears, the hot new hotties from Star Trek, or Robert Pattinson are up to (sigh...). I got the scoop!)

I'm pretty sure none of those skinny celebs have been munching on mango muffins like the Tuesday's with Dorie crowd has this past week. Poor them! Thanks go out to Kelly of Baking with the Boys for picking the Fresh Mango Bread for our enjoyment.

I cut the recipe down and made muffins so I wouldn't have to figure out what pan size to use.


I bedazzled my muffins (culinarily speaking) with some streusel topping (made from 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut in with a pastry blender, a food processor, or just your fingers). It was yummy!


I traded the raisins for some chopped macadamia nuts, because I knew there was no chance my kids would try them with raisins. (Why does everyone hate raisins? I don't get it.) I also had to sub lemon zest for the lime zest because I've become a pro at forgetting key recipe ingredients the moment I enter the grocery store.

The verdict? They were darn good! In spite of the stringiness of the mango, which made me think I was eating short little blond hairs with my muffin, I really liked them. Someone on the TWD forum mentioned that the more ripe the mango, the more stringy it is... so I might even try these again with non-hairy, er, non-stringy mangoes.

Okey, dokey, thanks for stopping by! Please check out Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking, From my Home to Yours", or Kelly's site above if you'd like to see the recipe.

27 comments:

Marthe said...

I love the streussel on top of your muffins! I also went the muffin-route and added pecans and some shredded coconut to the mango and raisins: delicious!! Luckily I had no issues with stringiness!

Steph said...

The bread looks delicious! I'm addicted to celebrity gossip blogs too. The worst was when it wasn't just one, but I started to read a few of them. How much gossip can I read about anyway?! Are you sure none of the celebs aren't enjoying a muffin..they eat right?..hahahah

I'm not a fan of raisins in quickbreads or muffins, but I think it has to do with how they get soggy. For some reason I feel kinda weird biting into something that's dehydrated, mushy yet has a little crunch. Ok.. I hope I didn't gross you out..haha.

Nichicakes said...

Oh yummy the streussel looks so good! Can I steal your idea for mine tonight?!

Maria said...

I love the muffins! I am going to try these soon!

Teanna said...

Oh man, between celebrity gossip blogs, twitter, and blogging, I never get any work done! Hahaha! I LOVE the streusel on top! I LOVE LOVE LOVED this bread. Seriously loved it!

chocolatechic said...

I didn't put raisins in mine either.

grace said...

i'm not crazy about mango, but perhaps that's because i've never had it in this form--it looks wonderful! excellent call with the macadamias, too.
and by the way, i wasn't crazy about zachary quinto before star trek, but now i find him oddly enticing. :)

Cathy said...

Oooh, which celeb gossip blog are you reading? I've been addicted to several over the years, although since I started reading food blogs my pace has slacked off some. Glad you enjoyed these! Love the muffins and love your struesel topping!

Anonymous said...

Your muffins look fantastic! I love the streusel topping. Sounds delicious.

I used to be addicted to celeb gossip sites. :P

Chris said...

Love the streussel topping - your muffins look great! Also not a fan of raisins in my dessert - so I subbed chocolate chips.

Beryl said...

It was a challenge not to highlight those "hairs" in my bread. Love with muffins and the streusel is a nice touch.

Tammy said...

macadamia nuts woudl have been the perfect addition - way better than raisins!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I want bedazzled fresh mango muffins! They look fantastic! I like the addition of the macadamia nuts too.

Anonymous said...

Love the bedazzled version!

Elyse said...

Oh man, I love celebrity gossip. I totally understand :) These muffins look great! I love your changes/additions. First of all, streusel is one of my favorite additions to muffins, so yay for that! And, secondly, your addition of the macadamia nuts is fabulous. So much better than raisins! And all the more tropical to go along with the mango.

Pamela said...

I love me some celebrity gossip. I subscribe to People and I am always checking out the celeb gossip blogs. Such a waste of time, but such fun. Nice job with the muffins and the streusel was a fab idea.

Bunny said...

Ok I feel like I'm missing out....what celeb gossip blog??? I like your version of the bread as muffins better than the actual bread.

isa said...

I love the streussel on top of your muffins! I didn’t put raisins in mine either. Looks delicious!

Leslie said...

Ooo, streusel! I bet these were amazing with streusel!

Megan said...

Oh yeah - I'm guilty as charged with the gossip sites. Well, that and between Facebook, twitter and my own blog, I'm not getting much done.

ahem.

Great muffins!

Juliana said...

Wow, nice muffins...they look really delicious. Very nice pictures as well. By the way, thank you for visiting my site.

The Food Librarian said...

Wow! These look fantastic. I can't stop reading about Jon and Kate + 8...Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Your muffins look pretty tasty! I'm going to have to try this recipe.

Madam Chow said...

I like that you turned these into muffins, which is what I might do next time. And would that gossip web site be The Superficial? My husband and I are both hooked on it!

TeaLady said...

Oh, I love the streussel on top. What a great idea. And macadamias. wonderful. Have to try these that way.

Chris said...

Love your bedazzled muffins - I think more food items could benefit from the effect!

(and hey, fwiw, I hang out on a few celebrity clothing mishap blogs...so we've all got our vices!)

Engineer Baker said...

Bedazzling? Oh, that's awesome. Great looking muffins!