Thursday, May 28, 2009

Cookie Carnival: Hazelnut Macaroon Sandwich Cookies


Last, but not least, for the month of May, is this month's Cookie Carnival recipe, Hazelnut Macaroon Sandwich Cookies

(As an aside, these are French "macarons" and not the American "macaroons". However, the recipe from Williams-Sonoma calls them "macaroons". Go figure.)

Oooh, fun, we get to pull out the piping bag.


After piping, the cookie tops are tamped down with a wet finger and they're ready to sit on the counter for 45 minutes before baking. I guess that's so the outsides will dry? (I dunno... I just do what they tell me.)


I pulled the first batch out of the oven too soon and they weren't quite done. They were a tiny bit "wet" inside and some had air pockets. The second batch was the more in line with the recommended "firm and golden" and they were noticeably better.


The more-done cookies had better "feet"... I guess that's what the little ridge around the bottom edge is called.


Here, have a macaroon...


(Take two, they're small.)

OK, so my macaroon-making skills need some work, but all in all, I was pleased with my first attempt.

Oh, and they're quite addictive. The more I ate, the better they got! Good thing I only made half a batch.

Thanks so much to Kate at the Clean Plate Club for picking these tasty little cuties. You can find the recipe here.

P.S. I used ground almonds rather than hazelnuts due to a hazelnut over-toasting incident.

22 comments:

Cathy said...

These look truly incredible. I can't believe this is your first time making macarons - they look like you're a pro! I really want to give these a try soon - I love the flavors in these.

Anne said...

Those are macarons, not macaroons....

Macaroon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macaroon

Macaron.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macaron

Elyse said...

Mmm, these look amazing! What a fabulous job you've done. Totally professional-looking. You're certainly a master. I think I could eat way more than two of these little guys.

Unknown said...

Wow, for a first attempt, your macarons look great :) You were able to get feet :D :D

Snooky doodle said...

Yours look great . I id try these two times the first batch I underbaked them and the other they were flat :( I ll try them again though :)

Cakelaw said...

These look delish! Marcarons is a baking frontier that I have not got to yet, even though I find them exquisite to look at and very tasty.

grace said...

excellent macaron debut! i've neither made nor eaten a macaron, but these certainly look appealing!

Anonymous said...

YUM. I need to try my hand at these one day. They look wonderful.

Bunny said...

I'm scared of macaroons, don't ask me why, maybe it's the whole " they have to have nice feet" thing. I've never eaten one either. I'd like too, I've just never seen them anywhere but on blogs.

NKP said...

They look great! I have never tried making them yet.

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

I also made these with the cookie carnival. I didn't let them sit the 45 minutes. I forgot and immediately baked them for 11 or so minutes.

DELISH!!!!

Shari said...

These look so amazing -- like a professional rather than a novice! Great job!!

AmyRuth said...

Oh my so cute they are and yes I would love to have one however I'm pretty sure they are gone because everyone else beat me to them. Darn!
I want a lesson now that you are a pro. come on over and we will sit on the porch and read about macaroons. he he Beautiful perfecto!
AmyRuth

AmyRuth said...

BTW I have had the spelling lesson from everyone and I'm still not sure because Pierre Herme's book which Dorie wrote spells them with a "oo" so who knows?
AmyRuth

Pamela said...

I was a little freaked out by the recipe choice this month and totally chickened out. I'm glad they worked out for you though. They look terrific!

PheMom said...

They look just like the W-S ones to me! I thought their name for them was pretty funny too. I didn't get the chance to make the recipe this month, but hopefully soon!

Dragon said...

I'll take a dozen please. :)

Amanda said...

They look fabulous! I found these very tedious and they took too long, so I probably will never make them again BUT they were delicious and at least I can say "been there done that". ;)

Martha said...

Beautiful, just beautiful! I can definitely tell that you know your way around a piping bag :-)

stephchows said...

Great job! I had fun making these and subbed my filling with a home made hazelnut chocolate spread. SO GOOD!

Tami said...

Nice job! Boy, they look delicious!

Jude said...

No matter how hard I try, ,I could never get those feet. Looks great.