Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Open-Faced Designer Apple Pie


It's pie time again!

This month, the "You Want Pies with That?" bakers were challenged by Natalie of Oven Love to create a pie based on a "Family Favorite" dessert. Hmm... time to call mom.


I got on the horn with mom to find out what the family favorites were. The list looked something like this...

- lemon meringue pie (been there, done that, times five)

- chocolate cake (I made chocolate tarts, what? a week ago?)

- apple pie (December's entry)

- rhubarb pie (March's entry)

- chiffon cake (a possibility, but this was for a baby shower, and feeding raw eggs to a pregnant woman? Sorry, I like my sleep at night too much for that.)

- aber skaber (I'm assuming this is a German thing, but I got nowhere on google or my cookbooks trying to figure out what it was)

Turns out, I've already done the family favorites! In fact, it appears my blog is one big ode to family favorites.

So, I turned to one of my baking idols, Rose Levy Berenbaum, and her magnificent book "The Pie and Pastry Bible" for inspiration. That's where I ran across her beautiful Open-Faced Designer Apple Pie and my search was over.


If you want to dazzle a crowd, this pie is it! It's gorgeous, even pre-apricot glaze.

All of that beauty does come at a small sacrifice, however. This pie takes the better part of a day to make from start to finish and is labor intensive. But if you've got time, this is an impressive pie, both in looks and taste. The cream cheese pie pastry is flaky and almost reminded me of puff pastry.

Here's a shot of the pie before baking. I used a combination of Fuji and Granny Smith apples, hence, the variation in apple color.



Allrighty then! Thanks so much for stopping by. If you'd like the RECIPE, run to your nearest library or bookstore and pick up a copy of Rose's book. Or, click on the link above (the name of the pie).

Take care of yourselves!

36 comments:

Heather said...

All these pies and I've not gotten on bite.

The Food Librarian said...

o.m.g. This is sooooo beautiful. I'm speechless!

Pamela said...

Holy Cow! I've never seen a prettier or more impressive pie! Beautiful.

NKP said...

That is so beautiful! A real work of art.

Anne said...

Wow, that's a gorgeous pie. I'm dying to make it!

Juliana said...

OMG, such a lovely pie...it is almost an art. I'd have a hard time to cut and eat since it is so beautiful. Really nice pictures. By the way, thank you so much for visiting my site and I appreciate the nice words that you left.

Jen H said...

Oh wow! That is gorgeous and looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I love it! YOur pie is so gorgeous.

Madam Chow said...

I couldn't participate this month (too much travel), so I can't vote, but I'd vote for your pie! It's gorgeous!

Madam Chow said...

You inspired me. I made a really ugly pie that I was too embarrassed to post, and I thought, what the heck, go for it - that way all of you can see how much room for improvement there is as far as my decorating skills go!

Sara said...

Wow, this is GORGEOUS! Looks delicious, and really beautiful. :)

You Want Pies With That? said...

WOW. My leaves never turn out quite so pretty. How did you make yours?

Unknown said...

Your pie looks beautiful. Even better than the picture in the recipe.
This is a great way for people like me, who dont know how to the lattice crust, to make their pies look pretty :)
Great job

Bunny said...

This si beautiful!!!! I've never seen anything like it!! Bookmarking this baby !!

Caroline said...

WOW, a couture pie is what this is! Thanks for the recipe link but I think I'd better get the book as well.

grace said...

i. am. floored. that's the most beautiful piece of food that's i've ever seen, and i'm completely serious. knowing that it's an apple pie makes it even more appealing to me. BRAVO.

Nichicakes said...

Wow that is pretty!

Kate said...

It looks like a rose, but better because you can eat it! It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Alpineberry Mary said...

I've always seen the photo in RLB's book but I've never been brave enough to make it. Yours definitely rivals the original.

Susan said...

Wow! That is one gorgeous pie!

Could your mom have been talking about "aebleskivers"?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Aebleskiver/Detail.aspx

Megan said...

You're killing me. Really.

That has to be the most beautiful pie I've ever seen. Labor intensive doesn't even begin to describe it!

Shari said...

This pie is gorgeous! It looks like a lovely rose. You did a super job and I can easily believe that it took a whole day to do it. Great job!

suz said...

Now that's just not fair Jacque; your pie has got to be the most gorgeous and fabulous pie I've ever seen. Anywhere. I mean we're talking about a pie for serious tv appearances here.

It's beautiful; really amazing :)

Audrey said...

Nothing original to say...your pie is just gorgeous. Stunning!

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous! I'm sure it was delicious, too!

Jude said...

That is so beautifully laid out. The leaves on the crust really looks nice with the layered apples. Impressive.

Teanna said...

That is BEYOND stunning. Oh my Goodness absolutely gorgeous. I have never seen anything like it.

Amanda said...

Man this is gorgeous!!

Linda said...

What a feast for the eyes --- so gorgeous! Bravo on making this pie so beautiful.

Bungalow Barbara said...

That is one seriously beautiful pie!

Did you know Rose Levy Beranbaum has a web site? www.realbakingwithrose.com

and there are forums on the site with a Show and Tell section, if you'd like to show off that lovely pie to some other Rose fans...

Missy "Photographer Sydney" John said...

Pie design is really beautiful.. work of at and passion

TeaLady said...

Oh!! That. Is. Gorgeous. I have to try it this way. What a grabber for compliments, "YOU made this, you're kidding, Its gorgeous." From the family.

Great job on this one.

Jessie "network printer" Collin said...

I love apple pies.. thanks for post.. and for the recipes

Carol said...

Wow, what a great way to make a pie presentation! I'm going to try it! Thanks!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Hi there... "Patrincia" from Rose's blog and forum here. Fantastic job!!! :) Happy baking!

Anonymous said...

Just come over from Rose's site, glad i did! what a lovely pie, pretty to look at and I bet pretty tasty too, knowing what Rose's recipes are like. Jeannette.