Tuesday, September 23, 2008

TWD: Dimply Plum Cake


I guess it was bound to happen... a Tuesday's with Dorie recipe that didn't bowl me over. It might have been my efforts to down-size the Dimply Plum Cake that was it's downfall. It might have been the cardomom.

Cardomom is one of those weird spices for me. Whenever I first taste a recipe with cardomom, I'm in love with it, but then quickly.... I don't know... I can't handle it for some reason. Like maybe my tastebuds aren't sophisticated enough. It's strange. I can't explain it exactly.

I quartered the recipe and baked it in a 4-inch round pan.


I made the mistake of not halving the plum and smooshing it into the top, like we were supposed to. Rather, I cut it into slices and fanned them around the top. I think it would have benefited from more plum to add some flavor to the cake. That's what I get for trying to be fancy.

Another thing... and I thought it was just that I used such a small pan, but then I saw other TWD-ers mention the same thing. I had to bake it a long time to get the center done, but then I thought the sides wer over-baked and dry.


I won't write this recipe off completely. If I were to make this again, I would bake a larger cake, use halved peaches and trade the cardomom for cinnamon. I think that version would be a winner.

Thanks so much to Michelle of Bake-en for hosting this week! Please see Michelle's blog for the recipe, or check out Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking: From My Home to Yours".

OK, that's all for now. Stay tuned for next week when we make (drum roll please) Creme Brulee!

No comments: