Tuesday, September 16, 2008

TWD: Chocolate Chunkers


I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to post this week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe, Chocolate Chunkers. I was going to get my post ready last night, but then we had our own little version of Hurricane Ike yesterday and our internet went down. I’m not complaining one tiny bit though, we could have been among the 800,000 homes in the area reported to be without power, or have trees down, shingles torn up, or a yard full of debris.

Oh, by the way, did I mention that we’re in OHIO?!? Can you believe that? Hurricane Ike in Ohio!? I read in the news that only 4 out of Ohio's 88 counties didn't have any damage. But still, its nothing compared to those down South.

Please say some prayers for those along the Gulf Coast affected by Ike. How horrible this is for them. I feel badly posting about cookies when so many have been uprooted and their homes destroyed.

Dorie Greenspan says in her description of the Chocolate Chunkers that she was inspired by Maida Haetter’s Mulattoes cookies. Of course, I had to make the Mulattoes too, being the overachiever that I am.

Here's a chocolate chunker...


and a mulattoe.


Needless to say, I’m a little chocolate-cookied-out.

Dorie added raisins, cocoa, and chocolate chunks to the recipe, but less butter. Maida’s cookie included instant coffee granules.


The verdict? The Chocolate Chunkers were very tasty. I used dried tart cherries rather than raisins, and opted for semisweet chocolate chips and white chocolate chips. I have to admit that I liked the Chocolate Whopper Drops from last week a little better, but these were still really good. I would make them again.

The Mulattoes had a strong coffee flavor, and since I really dislike coffee, I’m afraid I didn't like them. If you're into coffee, you might like them, but it was just too strong for me. (I often use coffee as my liquid in chocolate cake, as I do think it intensifies the chocolate flavor, but these went way past that). I would probably like them if the coffee were left out.

Update: my coffee-drinking neighbor loved the mulattoes.


Thanks so much to Claudia of Fool for Food for choosing this week’s recipe, another great pick! You can find the recipe for Chocolate Chunkers at Claudia's site, or check out Dorie Greenspan’s book “Baking: From my Home to Yours”. You can find a copy of the Mulattoes cookie recipe, from Maida Haetter's "Book of Great Desserts" by clicking here. Or better yet, go buy the book!

No comments: