Tuesday, August 19, 2008

TWD: Granola Grabbers


Only 6 days, 8 hours, and 19 minutes until school starts. But who’s counting?

Yes, it’s that magical time of year again when mothers (and possibly fathers, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles or whoever) look forward to the time when kids march single file onto the school bus and out of their hair. For a few hours anyway. Whew!

Speaking of school, I don’t think these Granola Grabbers (chosen by Michelle of Bad Girl Baking) are going to last long enough to make it into those brown paper lunch sacks. They are sooooo addictive.


“Everything But the Kitchen Sink” might be another name for these cookies. Seriously, I've never seen this much "stuff" in a drop cookie before. I thought the amount of granola, nuts, raisins, etc. looked like a lot compared to the “wet” ingredients, but to my surprise, it all came together nicely and made for a moist, chewy cookie.


I changed them up a bit. First, I added ½ teaspoon salt rather than ¼ teaspoon to help cut the sweetness, since some of the other TWD bakers reported that they were too sweet. In addition, I used ½ currants and ½ raisins since I was at the bottom of the raisin box. I soaked them both in boiling water and amaretto to plump them up. Once the cookie dough was mixed up, I split it into three and left one part plain, to one part I added chocolate chips, and to the remaining part I added cinnamon chips (that dough is pictured below).


I thought the chocolate chip version was the best, but the other two were very good as well. I really enjoyed the peanuts in them. They were like a pumped-up oatmeal chocolate chip cookie.

If you'd like to give these a try, please stop by Michelle's blog or check out Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking: From My Home to Yours".

By the way, here's what I'm going to be doing in 6 days, 8 hours, and 24 minutes, LOL.

No comments: