Friday, August 1, 2008

Congo Bars


I picked up a copy of David Lebovitz’s book, The Great Book of Chocolate at a recent trip to Half Price Books (LOVE that place!)


I quickly honed in on the Congo Bars after David explained that the recipe is from Flo Braker, and Flo says it’s her most requested recipe ever. Flo Braker's most requested recipe? Ever? Oh, I gotta make that!

You see, Flo and I have a history. It was Flo who saved me from the pound cake testing drudgery I did last year. Her pound cake recipe was easily the best I'd tried out of a half-dozen recipes. It was Flo whose sponge cake recipe turned out to be perfect for Tres Leches, my all-time favorite cake. (Tres Leches means "Three Milks" in Spanish and is a popoular Latin American cake.)

Flo knows!


I took these Congo Bars to a cookout and they were the first dessert to disappear. They're positively delicious! They have more of a brown sugar taste than your typical chocolate chip cookie recipe. I added a half package of toffee bits since I'm so in love with those things right now.

Want to try them? You can find the recipe at the Clabber Girl website HERE.

No comments: