Tuesday, August 26, 2008

TWD: Chocolate-Banded Ice Cream Torte


I just want to get this out of the way before we get started... I have no idea how to take good photos of ice cream. Is there some special refrigerated room that professional ice cream photographers know about that the rest of us don't?


Anyway...

This week's Tuesday's with Dorie recipe, Chocolate-Banded Ice Cream Torte, was chosen by Amy of Food, Family, and Fun. Thanks Amy! This was my first ice cream torte and it was exciting to see it come together.



The verdict? I thought it was OK. I like chocolate, and I like raspberries, but I'm not a big fan of them together. (I know, I'm weird. I don't like watermelon either.) The ganache and ice cream were really delish on their own, though. I could see changing up the flavors a bit and trying this again... maybe using mint ice cream, for example.

Hubby enjoyed it, he ate two pieces in one sitting.


Since my pants are busting at the seams lately, I halved the recipe and used a 5-inch pan.

Which reminds me that I wanted to share some information about what size pan to use if you want to halve a recipe that uses a round pan. They aren't exactly half on the nose, but they're pretty close.

The first number shows the original size round pan and the second number shows what size pan to use for half a recipe. So, in the first case for example, if the recipe calls for a 14 inch pan, half a recipe would use a 10 inch pan.

Whole : Half
14 : 10
12 : 9
10 : 7
9 : 6
8 : 5 or 6
6 : 4

OK, that's all for now... up next week? Chunky Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Chocolate Chipsters. I'm guessing they're going to be fantabulous.

No comments: