Tuesday, December 20, 2011

TWD: A Fig Cake for Fall


In October, Ursula of Cookie Rookie chose A Fig Cake for Fall. Alas, no figs were to be found in October. But low and behold, I found some at my local Meijer the other day and I knew exactly what I was going to make for this weeks Tuesdays with Dorie recipe, where we got to chose a rewind.

This little cake featured a cornmeal based cake with poached figs. I used red wine for the poaching liquid since that was all I had. Interestingly, my first impression when I tasted the cake was of peanut butter and jelly, of all things. Somehow the cake was nutty tasting with the cornmeal and the wine flavored figs reminded me of jelly (grape, I suppose).

It's hard to believe next week is THE. LAST. WEEK. of baking through Tuesdays with Dorie. Wow, so many recipe. I guess a "top ten" will be in order.

Anyway, If you'd like to see the recipe for the fig cake, check out Ursula's blog, or find yourself a copy of Dorie Greenspan's book, Baking, From my Home to Yours... seriously, one of the best baking books EVER.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Gorgeous cake! I adore figs but sadly where I am the season is over...I'll definitely put this on the list for next year though, the cake looks really delicious!

Cindy said...

Figs are something I have yet to bake with. This cake looks delish.

Tia said...

looking good! i love the crusty edges. merry cmas!

alvarosa said...

Glad you finally found some figs. Your cake looks just great!

Peggy the Baker said...

Your cake looks beautiful! It was a real hit with my husband when I baked it--hope everyone enjoyed it in your house.

Flourchild said...

Wow that is one lovely fig cake! I did not make this one but wish I did after seeing your picture!