Tuesday, October 12, 2010

TWD: Fold-Over Pear Torte


Cakelaw of Laws of the Kitchen selected Fold-Over Pear Torte for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe.

But honestly, doesn't it look more like some sort of potato-filled quiche?


That's what I kept thinking when I was sampling the first piece.

Fortunately, it was a lot more interesting than eggs and potatoes. It seemed to fall somewhere between a really dense cake and a custardy tart. And the most noticeable taste? Not the pears. Nope, it was the brandy.

Which is OK with me, I like a little rum or brandy or amaretto in desserts.


With the pie crust, pears and boozy custardy filling (oh, and I used figs instead of apricots since that's what I had on hand), it was an altogether tasty and somewhat unusual dessert. One I'm glad I tried.

Allrighty! That's that. If you'd like to see the recipe, please stop by Cakelaw's blog or find yourself a copy of Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking, From my Home to Yours".

16 comments:

natalia said...

Ciao ! Your photo are great for a beautiful torte !!

Hindy said...

Your torte looks delicious! We loved the boozy custard too.

chocolatechic said...

I kept mine simple and didn't use any liquor, but added caramel bits instead

Unknown said...

Yup, it really does look more like a quiche. Good effort though!

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

Great looking torte, I love the creaminess of the custard and quite frankly I don't think you can ever go wrong with a little added booze ;o)

Flourchild said...

Your torte looks very good. I love the way your filling looks!

Pamela said...

It does look chunky and filling. Glad you liked it!

Kayte said...

I hadn't thought of it, but you are right, it does look like potato quiche...lol. Looks infinitely more sugary and delicious those...nice job, love the outdoor photo of it sunning itself on the deck.

Michelle A'etonu said...

beautiful!

mike said...

I obviously did something wrong - yours is what I thought mine would look like! Heavenly - what a nice looking "pie" torte!

Tia said...

yours looks great - love the color.

Cakelaw said...

LOL - a number of people have commented how this looks like a savoury pie. Yours looks really good. Thanks for baking along!

Anonymous said...

i love the way it cuts so neatly. No runny mess!

daphne said...

another good treat. . Torte! give me some slice please lol

Katrina said...

Yours looked like potatoes and mine looked like chicken pot pie! ;)
This one just didn't work for me, but I'm always glad when I try new things.

Brittany said...

What a beautiful torte! Thanks for sharing the pear love! If you ever need additional ins-pear-ation, check us out at www.usapears.org.

happy baking!
your friends at USA Pears