Friday, October 8, 2010

FFWD: Gerard's Mustard Tart


Up this week for French Fridays with Dorie is Gerard's Mustard Tart.

Mustard tart? Yeah. OK.

I guess.

I can do tarts and I like mustard well enough... so, hey, I figured I'd give it a whirl.


Dorie's main version included carrots and leeks with the mustardy custard filling. A tomato version was given as an alternate and since it IS tomato season and I just happened to have a pile of tomatoes fresh from the garden, that's the direction I went. I added some dried basil too.

The tart was wonderful! I cut the recipe down to 1/3 of the batch and made one 4-inch tart (although I had enough custard left over so I could have probably made two of them). It was perfect for dinner... so much so that I didn't even share! Sorry family. Maybe next time.

This month only, you can find the recipes on the FFWD website. After that, you're just gonna have to get your hands on the book. Au revoir (that's "goodbye" in French) until next week!

22 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Bon jour!

I do not have happy feelings towards mustard.

Hindy said...

I'm so glad you made the tomato tart. It looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Great job! You've inspired me to make the tomato version now!

Jayne said...

Looks great! I made both versions - loved the fresh tomatoes with the mustard.

spike. said...

I didn't quite know how this would taste when reading it but was pleasantly surprised. Your tart looks perfect

Nicky said...

Love seeing the tomato version!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Tomato and basil?? YUM! Your tart is so pretty! :)

Tia said...

elegant, pretty, and i bet really tasty.

Kim said...

I wondered how this tart was with the tomatoes. It sure does look pretty. I enjoyed mine greatly and am happy to hear that you enjoyed yours as well!

Marthe said...

Pretty tart with tomatoes!! Gotta give it a try that way soon!

Good Bite In said...

I love the look of the tomato version. I think I'll try that next time ... it's easier than chopping up all those veges!

Shandy said...

You made the tomato tart, Hooray! I want to bake the tomato one and will this weekend. I love how you started out with your post, about not being overly excited until you tasted it. I think I was in the same boat. Hubby and I love the flavor. Cute 4" tart too!

Mary said...

I am jealous you have a tomato garden...my yard is all shade and hungry woodland creatures ready to eat whatever I plant!

Mary said...

Gorgeous tart, especially with the flecks of basil setting off the custard and tomatoes. I am still trying to get my first FFwD recipe baked, but at least I'm unpacked now.
:)

Michelle A'etonu said...

yours came out great. i can't wait to try this version the next time!

Katrina said...

Yum, tomato basil sounds de-lish. I don't care for mustard, but really liked this tart.

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

Beautiful tart, that sounds delicious! I will have to look it up in my book, I bet it would be mighty tasty with a good glass of wine :o)

mike said...

Another tomato tart.... now I REALLY have to make one - it's a spectacular looking tart (even the 1/3 of one)!

Jencrafted said...

I was skeptical at first and held off making it until I read all the rave reviews. It's divine And your tart looks wonderfully delicious!

Tammy said...

Your tart looks so yummy! i enjoyed this too

Unknown said...

Yours is the first I've seen with the tomato alternative. Looks delish! I will definitely be trying that version next time. I loved this recipe too!

Shandy said...

Thank you for stopping by and leaving the wonderful comments on the roulade and quindim. The meal was interesting =).