Tuesday, February 15, 2011

TWD: Chocolate Oatmeal Drops


Caroline and Claire of Bake With Us chose Chocolate Oatmeal Drops for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe.

As you can see, I decided against making these in their intended form... drops, or cookies. After hearing about spreading, thin, greasy cookies, I thought "uh, no, not on my watch".


Since I've cut way back on sweets, I definitely don't want to waste my sweet tooth on thin cookies. Ewww!

Anyway, this is what I did: I made 1/2 batch and baked them as you would with bars or brownies, in a round 8″ pan (ungreased). I added about 2 tablespoons extra flour. I also used a hand mixer to mix in the eggs and the flour somewhat. And as usual, I left out the cinnamon since I'm not a fan of the cinnamon-chocolate combo.

And were they as good as they look? Oh yea, even better. They were AWESOME! I could have easily eaten the whole pan (had to quickly push them on the kids and their friends instead). I didn't know what to expect from the oatmeal, but it wasn't really noticeable. It made for just a slight crunch, though.

Thanks so much, Caroline and Claire! Great pick! If you'd like to see the recipe, visit Caroline and Claire's blog (link above) or check out Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking, From my Home to Yours".

15 comments:

Caroline said...

Thanks for baking along with us! I am glad they were a hit. I know all about passing the baked goods on to other people!

Cakelaw said...

These were great, and I like the bar idea.

chocolatechic said...

I followed your lead and made them into brownies.

Flourchild said...

Great idea..it looks scrumptious! I loved these cookies!

Meg Luby said...

i SUPER approve of your tweaking! these look spectacular, yummmmmmmmmm! thanks for sharing! love your blog ;)
-meg
@ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
@ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

Bella Baker said...

wow, looks great!! So glad you enjoyed them!!

Nicole said...

Yum, that looks great as a bar cookie/brownie cake. Great idea!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Yum! Love these as 'bars' - great tweak! :)

alvarosa said...

great idea! i had the feeling they were more cake- or brownie.like anyways, so why not bake them in the according form right away?

Anonymous said...

Yummie, this chocolate and oatmeal drops look fabulous, can I have a piece of it?

Pamela said...

That does look AWESOME!! I should have done this, too. Looks incredibly good.

Anonymous said...

Mine were thin but chewy and I liked them. I'd love to sink my teeth into your brownie version!

Katrina said...

Perfect idea to just make big ol' brownies!

briarrose said...

Oh nice adjustment...this looks incredible. When I have a treat I want it to be worthwhile too. ;)

Unknown said...

That's an awesome idea. I do that to cookies a lot.. but it's out of pure laziness!