Tuesday, December 15, 2009

TWD: Cafe Volcano Cookies


Before I talk about this week's Tuesday's with Dorie recipe, I just have to ask... what do y'all think about this whole Tiger Woods situation? Personally, I'm wondering how in the world it took this long for him to get caught, with the trail of evidence he seems to have left in his wake. What do you think?

Anyway, on to sweeter matters, LOL. Thanks to Macduff of The Lonely Sidecar we got to make a very easy and slightly strange cookie... Cafe Volcano Cookies. And by "strange", I don't mean bad, I just mean... unusual.

They couldn't be any simpler. Toasted, chopped nuts, sugar, espresso powder, and egg whites get thrown in a pot and heated briefly. Then mounds of the mixture are spooned onto cookie sheets and baked. The motley little piles turn into craggy, holey, crunchy cookies, perfect with coffee or tea.


I passed on the espresso and used almond extract and some concentrated strawberry flavoring I have on hand. The cookies were pretty good, although a tad sweet. I tend to like softer cookies, but they were a nice change and I did enjoy the toasted nut flavor.

OK, that's that. Thanks Macduff for the interesting cookie adventure this week (and thanks for an easy recipe! Gotta love those in December.) Please check out Macduff's site if you'd like to see the recipe, or see Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking From my Home to Yours".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now there's an interesting cookie!!