Saturday, June 20, 2009
Cake Slice: Pina Colada Cake, and an Award
This month, the Cake Slice Bakers made the Pina Colada Cake, from the book "Sky High: Irresistible Triple Layer Cakes", by Alisa Huntsman and Peter Wynne.
My Pina Colada Cake took a wild ride through three airports, two planes, two taxi rides, and several rental car rides before making it to it's final destination atop a lovely cupcake tower at my sister's wedding. (The cupcakes were done by Be My Cupcake in Cedar Park, TX.)
The Pina Colada Cake was made up of a lovely rum-soaked brown sugar cake with a pineapple-lime-vanilla filling, all wrapped up in a coconut buttercream. Since I knew this cake would have to hold up to the rigors of air travel, I opted to ice it with my sturdy cream cheese icing and then cover it with fondant. I wasn't sure how the coconut buttercream would fare and decided to play it safe. Bummer, though. I was anxious to try the buttercream since all of the icings in this book have been wonderful so far.
And how was it? The cake was delish! My sister and her new hubby really loved it.
Feel free to stop by the Cake Slice Bakers Blogroll to see how everyone else fared this month. For the recipe, click ---> here.
I also want to give a shout out and thanks to Chris from The Mixed-Up Files of... Me for giving me the Kreativ Blogger award. Thanks, girlfriend!
The RULES of this award are:
(1) Thank the person who nominated you for this award.
(2) Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
(3) Link to the person who nominated you for this award.
(4) Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
(5) Nominate 7 Kreativ Bloggers.
(6) Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
(7) Leave a comment on each of the blogs, letting them know they have been nominated.
I'm going to nominate Vibi from La Casserole Carree and Natashya from Living in the Kitchen with Puppies for this award. Girls, feel free to do what you want with this award. Post it or not, it's up to you.
Aaand lastly, seven things about myself (ugh)... OK...
1. I'm embarrassed to talk about myself.
2. I never really got South Park.
3. I can't think of anything interesting to say for #3.
4. I think high heels are a conspiracy against women.
5. I rarely watch TV. I've never seen Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, American Idol or most of the other hit shows.
6. I'm 43 and I'm still waiting for the real adults to show up and manage this household.
7. I still have a thing for Loverboy.