Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Soft Molasses Cookies

I recently read a blog where the author stated they had to think twice about buying yet another cookbook, when they realized they hadn’t used many of their existing cookbooks (or something to that effect. (and I'm sorry, but I can't recall who's blog that was)). Hellooo! That fits me to a “T”. I have many baking books I have NEVER used. I’ve pored through them and drooled over the delectable delights inside. But have I baked anything from them? No. I just go buy more cookbooks. Sheesh! Talk about greedy!

So, my new thing is, actually USING the cookbooks I already have.

Sooooo, today’s entry, “Soft Molasses Cookies” comes from The King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion.

I tied this in with my following of a local soldier captured in Iraq four years ago. Until earlier this month, his whereabouts and status were unknown. Sadly (SO sadly) his body was found in early April. This tears me up and I feel so deeply for his family. I remember a night at Meijer four years ago when I stood and read the comments on a message board newly-erected in his honor. I bawled in the parking lot and all the way home. I know I was not a safe driver that night. His body was brought home this weekend and there was a procession through town as well as memorial services and funeral. My thoughts and prayers go out to his parents and family.

My sons’ school pulled together a lunch for family and soldiers as part of the weekend’s events. I baked these cookies as my tiny little contribution.

So, here they are. They are delicious and remind me of gingerbread. They were slightly crunchy outside and soft on the inside. One note: I don’t suggest chilling the formed cookie balls before baking. The one batch I chilled beforehand didn’t set properly inside.

I found the recipe on another blogger’s site, so I’ll direct you there. If I can avoid typing up a recipe, I will (I’m too lazy!). Find the recipe here on “Cooking in Kansas City”.

Later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.