Tuesday, September 20, 2011

TWD: Salt and Pepper Cocoa Shortbreads

Wow, has it really been three months since I've blogged? Chalk it up to a long and busy summer. Thanks to an extra goofy school year schedule, the kids got out of school in late May and didn't go back until Sept. 6. (Pretty sure someone was conspiring against us stay home moms, but I have yet to prove it.)

I barely baked at all this summer, aside from the occasionally requested batch of chocolate chip cookies. Good thing too, because I would have probably been hitting the baked goods hard come August.

Blah, blah, blah... anyway, back to baking. This weeks Tuesdays with Dorie recipe, Salt and Pepper Cocoa Shortbreads, was chosen by Tianne of Buttercream Barbie.


Salt definitely has it's place in baking, but pepper? Weirdly enough, you couldn't really taste the pepper even though there seemed to be quite a lot (especially when any-at-all seems like a lot... for cookies!) It was more of a warm mouth-sensation punctuated by a little kick in the back of your throat. They were very good, with the crumbly, dry texture you expect with good shortbread, and just the right amount of chocolate.

I say, bring on the pepper! Thanks for a great pick, Buttercream Barbie. If you'd like to see the recipe, please check out Tianne's blog (link in first paragraph) or Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking, From my Home to Yours".

7 comments:

Kavi said...

marvelous! And so easy!
-
Kavi |
Edible Entertainment

Nicole said...

I've used pepper in a couple of cookie recipes and I am usually pleasantly surprised. I liked these quite a bit, even though they weren't gooey and decadent.

Hindy said...

Gorgeous cookies! Welcome back. Cooler weather demands dessert!

Tia said...

welcome cooler weather! I love your pix.

Katrina said...

Glad you're back! I was happy to see a post from you in my reader.
I know, summer is so tough on us stay home moms. They just don't get it. ;)
I loved these cookies with what seem so strange. I drizzled mine with more chocolate.

alvarosa said...

so, welcome back to baking/blogging - what a nice coincidence that you actually liked this first recipe after some time!

Cakelaw said...

Welcome back! Your cookies look great. I agree that the pepper was not really noticable in these.