Tuesday, January 25, 2011

TWD: Muffins and Cookies and Cake, Oh my!

Whew! January is almost over, which brings me back to the world of blogging.

Hi. Hello. I've missed seeing all the lovely blogs and even lovlier baked treats. I needed a break from blogging, but I kept up with the baking. It's been a fantastic month of Tuesdays with Dorie recipes, too. There hasn't been one stinker in the bunch.

Here we go in reverse order... first up, or I guess that would be last up, Jennifer of Cooking for Comfort chose Nutty, Chocolaty, Swirly Sour Cream Bundt Cake.



I wasn't expecting to like this, what with the dreaded cinnamon-chocolate combination in the swirl. But guess, what? I loved it, it was SO fantastic. The cake was nice and moist and the swirl was sweet and tasty. I made a few modifications, namely, leaving out the orange zest from the batter and the nuts and raisins from the swirl. Care was also taken to make sure the swirl was well hidden beneath layers of batter. I also used my 1/2 sized bundt pan for the first time... the cake was so adorable to boot!



Before that, Betsy of A Cup of Sweetness chose Lemon Poppyseed Muffins.


I made these as directed and they were just perfect. Lemony and crunchy from the poppy seeds, moist and tender from the sour cream in the batter. They weren't terribly sweet but that's OK because they were muffins, not cake. No complaints at all with these little yummies.

Next, Margo of Effort to Deliciousness chose Fluff-Filled Chocolate Madeleines.


My madeleines, without their fluff filling, or chocolate glaze were the poor cousins of those lucky madeleines that were made like they were supposed to be. (I soooooo did not need an almost-full jar of marshmallow fluff in my pantry, so I skipped the filling. Plain old laziness dictated that mine would not get a dip in the chocolate pool.) But you know what? They still tasted awesome, like bite-size chocolate cakes.


Of course, they didn't have the much-coveted hump on the back. But, really, who cares? Not me and not my taste buds.

And finally, that brings us to the first recipe of 2011, Midnight Crackles, which were chosen by Laurie of Slush (and founder of TWD) and Julie of Someone's in the Kitchen for the third anniversary of TWD.


It's been a while, but I seem to remember these might have had some spices in them... whatever it was, I left them out. I wanted pure, unadulterated chocolate.

And this cookie delivered just that. They were seriously good. If they would have had some chocoalte chips in them, they would have been the best ever Chocolate chocolate chip cookies. Underbaking them a little was key, by the way.

OK, folks, that's January! In a nutshell. If you'd like to see the recipes, check out the lovely ladies' blogs, or get ahold of a Dorie Greenspan's book, Baking, From my Home to Yours.

17 comments:

Tia said...

wow that's some impressive catching up! love it :)
your bundt unmolded PERFECTLY. you rock!

Peggy the Baker said...

What a perfect bundt! And I loved your monthly round-up--well done.

alvarosa said...

what a catch-up! love the lots of swirl in your bundt!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Everything looks so wonderful! Especially the bundt - I've got to find one of those 1/2 sized pans! Glad to see you back, too! :)

chocolatechic said...

Oh...wasn't the cake just fabulous.

Amber Marie said...

Welcome back to blogging! The cake and cookies look so nice all in a row!

Jennifer said...

Wow...love all of your photos-and that bundt cake is perfection! Thank you for baking along with me!

Bella Baker said...

wow, what a catch up post!!! Everything looks great, especially that bundt cake! Gorgeous!!!

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

your bundt looks perfect. I missed out on the madeleines and seeing yours makes me want to catch up too!

Peggy said...

That is a LOT of catching up but a great post!! Great bundt cake too.

Hindy said...

Glad to know I wasn't the only one behind in posting recipes! Your roundup looks delicious. I do remember the cinnamon in the midnight crackles and it was a good addition.

Tangerine Tea said...

Mmmm madeleines! So impressed :) They always remind me of my childhood days, when we'd get apricot or orange madeleines with a glass of milk at teatime after school. I have to put this on my "To Bake" list now!

Anonymous said...

What a lot of great-looking treats! I didn't bake along all of those weeks, but I did make this week's cake and loved it!

Beth said...

Great post! I'm hoping to try that bundt cake either as a half (like you) or minis. And I'm making those lemon poppyseed muffins this afternoon!

Jules Someone said...

Yum, yum, and more yum! That's my kind of round up!

Unknown said...

Jacque, I just adore your blog. The photos are superb! For this I award you a Stylish Blogger Award on my blog. Play along as much as you'd like. :)

Tina (Tangerine Tea) said...

Just wanted to say that after I'd read your post the other day, I still had the taste of madeleines on my mind for a few days. I was going to make some, but then sadly realised that I didn't have the shell-shaped moulds :( So I ended up making lemony muffins instead. In any case, thanks for the inspiration :)