Tuesday, November 9, 2010

TWD: Not-Just-for Thanksgiving Cranberry Shortbread Cake


Jessica of Singleton in the Kitchen chose Not-Just-for Thanksgiving Cranberry Shortbread Cake for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe.

Think "Giant Soft Sandwich Sugar Cookie with Fruit Filling". That pretty much sums it up.


A layer of shortbread is pressed into a spring-form pan. Or maybe grated into a spring-form pan.

Some of the TWD crowd were discussing a method of first freezing the shortbread dough and then grating it into the pan rather than rolling or pressing it in. I guess the thinking is that minimal fussing with the dough would result in a lighter, softer crust.

I figured I'd give it a try. Here's the bottom layer.


Rather than making the cranberry jam filling, I went the lazy route and used ready-made strawberry rhubarb filling. I then grated my top crust on.


It made for a light and tender "cake", er, giant fruit-filled sugar cookie.

I really enjoyed this. I would like to try it again sometime with the cranberry filling.

My only problem was that I underbaked it and the center was a little gooey, but that was no big deal really. (I made 1/2 batch and baked it in a 6" pan. )


Thanks so much to Jessica for picking this tasty dessert. If you'd like to see the recipe, please stop by Jessica's blog, or check out Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking, From my Home to Yours".

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting and cake looks so delicious! For thanksgiving. Have you any idea of fruit baskets decoration for table like edible fruit baskets?

Peggy said...

I'm so glad you grated yours so that I could see what that was like. I was chicken to do that. Looks delicious. You are right, this is like a giant cookie with filling!!!

chocolatechic said...

I grated mine too.

Yours looks lovely.

Mary said...

I meant to grate mine and totally forgot! Grrr! Yours looks great, and the grating makes the giant sugar cookie part so much lighter. 5 stars for using rhubarb--my fave!
:)

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

I will have to try the grating technique sometime. It looks fantastic! :)

Cindy said...

Sounds like an interesting tecnique. This was very tasty. Have a great day.

Jessica said...

I'm so glad you tried the grating technique too! I absolutely loved this recipe. Your cake looks beautiful!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

The grating sounds like something worth trying. Yours looks lovely and I think, lighter.

Tia said...

I LOVE your description. It's so accurate and I think it's more tempting than the real name :)

Juliana said...

Oh! Your shortbread cake filled with cranberry sauce looks delicious, so professionally done...love the pcitures :-)

Kayte said...

Wow, I learn a lot over here, and the photos are just great. Love your filling...it just looks like such a pretty color.

Cakelaw said...

Your cake looks great. I didn't make the cranberry filling either (no cranberries!), but thought that the jam I used was pretty good.

AmyRuth said...

You know? i kind of had the same result. I think a little more happiness in the oven would be in order next time. Pretty sure there will be a next time for me. I really liked this and definitely try the cranberry filling.
AmyRuth

Flourchild said...

It sure looks tasty!
The cookie tasting crust was my favorite part!

Judy said...

This is such a versatile dessert. Any kind of fruit filling would be delicious.

Katrina said...

I said the exact same thing--it's a big, giant sandwiched sugar cookie. Cake, whateva.
I liked this, but needed to get rid of it so I wasn't the only one eating it. I did the caramelized apples.

Jessica said...

That grating technique sounds fabulous. I've loved all of the tarts I've seen using that technique. Thanks so much for baking along with me!