Tuesday, September 14, 2010

TWD: Cranberry Upside-Downer


Sabrina of Superfluous chose Cranberry Upside-Downer for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe.

I've got to say this is one of the least attractive desserts I've turned out in a while. Although it looks like a peach-topped mound of goo, there really is cake under there somewhere. Honest! I don't know if I didn't bake it long enough or if it was too much butter/sugar for that size pan. Whatever! It looks like something that would come with the warning "Don't Try This at Home!".

For all of my carrying on, it actually tasted pretty good. I like the addition of the healthy dose of cinnamon to the cake. I'd like to try this again sometime with a full size recipe to see if I have better luck (I baked 1/4 recipe in a 4-inch pan). Also, I might have to give the cranberries a go when they start showing up in the local grocery stores.

On a side note, school *finally* started last week after our extra-long summer (thanks to several new schools being built over the last year and needing extra time to finish this summer). I thought this was a cute picture of my 4th grader waiting with dad to head to the bus. He looks so little!



OK, head on over to Sabrina's blog if you'd like to peek at the recipe, or check out Dorie Greenspan's book, "Baking, From my Home to Yours".

8 comments:

Nichicakes said...

peach goo cake is probably good!

chocolatechic said...

I don't think it is ugly.

I think it is homey.

Mary said...

I don't think it is ugly...it is delicious.

Katrina said...

Ok, I do think the peaches kind of look like an elephant ears and nose, but I know it tasted good. I didn't use as much butter in the bottom as Dorie suggested (I also used brown sugar and didn't cook it).
I made mine with spiced peach butter.

Hindy said...

I think your cake looks so inviting. I love the gooeyiness. But I do think there was too much butter in the topping.

Jeannette said...

awwww what a little trooper!

and 'round these parts, we would call your cake 'rustic' it just sounds much better ;)

Juliana said...

The cake looks fine to me...actually I like the gooeyness of this cake...

Anonymous said...

I wouldnt mind having it as breakfast before school if i were your boy!