Tuesday, December 2, 2008

TWD: Linzer Sables


Ey, yi, yi! How did Tuesday get here so fast?

I just barely got this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe made (I have a sneaking suspicion many of my posts this month will start out with that same, exact sentence.)

This week's recipe was Linzer Sables, chosen by noskos of Living the Life. Thanks noskos! I was so glad to see a cookie recipe on the menu this week, as I just happen to have a holiday cookie exchange tonight. We'll see how my cake club friends like these.


How were they, you're wondering? Well, there are two kinds of cookies in the world. Those that can be eaten straight out of the cookie jar and enjoyed on their own, and those that need an accompaniment, like a cup of hot tea or coffee. I would put these cookies in the "good with tea" category. They're nutty and spicy and not terribly sweet. I was surprised that they were lighter than I expected.

I tend to like "straight out of the cookie jar" type cookies, and a softer cookie, so I'm not sure I would make these again. But they're a nice holiday cookie, and I'm guessing folks who like nuts would enjoy them.

Baking Notes:
I used a 2" oval cutter and a small star cutter for my cookies. I got 18 cookies, but might have been able to get 20 if I had taken the time to roll out the remaining dough another time. The recipe called for 1-1/2 cups ground nuts. I used 1 cup of ground hazelnuts and 1/2 cup ground almonds. It was a nice combination. I used apricot preserves. Oh, and I had to brush the preserves that were showing through the star with a damp artists brush after I dusted with powdered sugar. The powdered sugar completely covered up the preserves.

Please visit noskos' site if you'd like to peek at the recipe, or check out Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking: From my Home to Yours".

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the stars! These weren't my favorites, but I'd always wanted to make them, so it was a good experiment. ;)

Cathy said...

They look beautiful! I love the stars in the ovals. Glad you liked them (with a cup of tea, anyway!) Hope they were a hit at your cookie exchange!

Anonymous said...

I'm like you. I prefer cookie jar cookies. These are very pretty though.

vibi said...

Very pretty Linzers Jacque! I hope the club likes them! BRAVO!

chocolatechic said...

I love the cut outs you used.

Gorgeous.

Bunny said...

I'm with you I like cookies straight from the cookie jar!

Engineer Baker said...

I have to admit that I generally go for the "good with tea" cookies. It's for my health - I eat fewer of those, the cookie jar cookies just disappear too quickly! I love the star cutouts too.

NKP said...

I agree, they are cup of tea cookies. I loved them just the same - yours are so pretty.

kimberly salem said...

they look very pretty!! i am a soft cookie person too, but it's nice to have some variety.

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

They look beautiful! Sorry they weren't your favorite, though! Hopefully your cookie exchange friends will love them!!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

Megan said...

Aww - that's the good thing about cookies - you can always pawn them off on someone else. That's what I'm doing under the guise of "Oh look - I brought you some cookies!!"

Snooky doodle said...

These look nice and i like the nutty flavour combine with jam.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

beautiful--bet they were a hit with the cookie swap!

Tammy said...

I agree, these are a more special occasion biscuit - they would make a great gift!

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

Your cookies look great and even though they weren't your favorite, I bet you won't have any trouble trading these. I really like them and guess I am more of a "good with tea" type of cookie person rather than "from the cookie jar." Come to think of it, cookies never make it to a cookie jar in my house, so maybe I am an equal opportunity cookie lover.

The Food Librarian said...

Very Very pretty!

Pamela said...

They look great, and I agree about them being good with tea. I'm with you though, on liking a softer cookie.

On another note, I used to read Waiter Rant the blog all the time. I will have to check that book out!

Anne said...

I love the shapes- they look great! I think you've inspired me to try them with hot chocolate next time...

Judy said...

Your cookies look delicious. I just tried one for the first time tonight, and thought they were super good.

Anonymous said...

What pretty little stars. I wish I had a cookie exchange to attend! Hope you had fun.

Patricia said...

Your cookies are stunning. Linzers have never been my favorite either, but the photos have inspired me to maybe include them in my holiday cookie baskets this year. Well done!

noskos said...

Great looking cookies!