Thursday, May 8, 2008

Pineapple Upside Down Cake, a Blast from the Past

When I was a kid, maybe 12 years old, my mom bought a set of pots and pans at one of those “home parties”. I remember it was a big deal because it was “waterless cookware” and it was all the rage.

The thing I remember most about that cookware is that you could make pineapple upside down cake… in the skillet… on the stovetop!

Wonder of wonders! I was blown away by the mere thought of baking a cake anywhere but the safety of the oven.

I must have made that cake a hundred times back then. Sadly, I can’t remember making it since. Is it my imagination, or has this classic fallen out of favor? I never see anyone bring it to cookouts or the cakewalk at the school festival anymore.

As a tribute to days gone by, I made the “Fresh-Fruit Upside Down Cake” from the “Baking Illustrated” cookbook, using fresh pineapple. It tasted really good and I loved how the pineapple baked up a beautiful golden yellow.

By the way, I inherited that set of cookware (minus the skillet, dag-nabit!). If I had the skillet now I'm certain I’d still be making the stovetop version of pineapple upside down cake whenever I had the chance.

You can find the Baking Illustrated recipe --- here.

Happy Baking!

No comments: